Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Taste of Texas

We have been home for two weeks in a row!  Guess that means I should have written a blog or two during that time, oops.  It is spring in Texas and that equals outside time in my book.  In spite of the yellow film that covers every surface and causes my eyes to burn and my nose to run, I have spent a good part of the last two weeks outside enjoying it while it lasts.  Before too long the temperatures and humidity will be above my comfort level and I'll be forced to be more creative with my free time.  For now it is golf, walking, running and patio season. 

Another thing that spring in Texas brings is bluebonnets!  This year is a particularly good year for the state flower and TJ and I went on a little road trip last Sunday to check out the scenery.  It turned out to be a very nice afternoon so I thought I'd share some of what helps us like living down here....for part of the year.

Before you get to see the bluebonnets here is a typical Texas scene that we happened upon when we took a wrong turn!
Maybe it was a right turn.... 

"You talkin' to me?"


After our detour we found an interesting store surrounded by bluebonnets.  TJ had to restrain me from buying a piece of large ironwork.  I loved this place!  Goes to show the saying, "if you build it, they will come" is true!  They came!
So much to see....

Windmill anyone?

We decided to drive on and find a field of bluebonnets that did not have about 50 people in it taking pictures of their cute families.  We were looking for our "own" field.  So on we drove.  TJ has always been known for his frightening (for his passengers) ability to drive and still see a hawk a mile away or a remote bluebonnet field behind a locked gate and remain on the road... sorta between the lines.

He saw this field from the road....wait...who is driving again?




We ventured a bit farther and found the perfect scene!  We found it because TJ has never been one to go with the main stream and he decided we needed to "explore" off the beaten path.  Yes, there are some very well traveled roads that are known for their bluebonnets and on a nice Sunday afternoon in peak season there will be people in every field taking pictures.  Glad he likes to explore....sometimes.

A very nice patch of bluebonnets and no cars passing by!


So many!!!!
An Indian Paintbrush among the Bluebonnets

 After I took about 100 pictures of the wildflowers we were getting very hungry!  What else would make this day perfect?  The only thing we were missing was some real Texas BBQ.  Where were we going to find that out here in the middle of nowhere?  We followed along and low and behold what should we see but a cute little tin building with flags flying.  I asked TJ to pull over so I could get a nice photo of the flags when he said..."They might be serving BBQ today."  And guess what?  They were!  Cutest most stereotypical place ever!  The food was pretty good too! 

We brake for BBQ!
Not much from the outside, right?


totally cute inside!

I'll bet there is some boot skootin' boogying that goes on here!


They were so happy we stopped by that they invited us back!
No, that is not our motorcycle!!!

And that, my friends, is your taste of Texas! 
Y'all come back!

1 comment:

Carol said...

I love the photo with the gate, chain and bluebonnets. Perfect! Your flowers are out way before ours up here in the "north". Great blog - I enjoyed my vicarious field trip! (ha - accidental double entendre!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...